Click HERE for TUTU blog.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Update

Well, this is my first blog ever and I am realizing that I'm not very good at blogging. I guess you could say we've been a bit busy. Some of you are wanting an update on our adoption process and would like to know an estimated timeline. So here you go:)

Since I've posted last we have gone to our Colorado required adoption training. This was a 2 day training about all aspects of adoption. We learned about attachment and bonding, domestic adoption, bringing another race and culture into our family, and we even learned how to change a diaper again. The training ended with a panel of birth moms and birth grandmas who had made the decision to give their child to another family. This was the highlight and most emotional part of the training. These brave young girls were able to sit in front of a bunch of married couples and talk about something that was so sensitive to them. My thinking has forever changed about our potential birth mom because of hearing these young ladies speak.

We have officially started our home study! This is so Colorado can approve us to adopt a child. Of our long home study list, we have our fingerprints done, most paper work done, medical exam appointments made, and certified documents ordered.

We have been doing a couple of things to raise money.  First, we have been collecting items for our fund-raising garage sale. Our garage is now so full that we are unable to park our cars in it. We are so grateful for all of the donations that people have given. Second, I have been very busy making tutus. I never expected this craft to take off like it has. God has blessed me with many orders which at times required Kenton's help to cut tulle (don't tell him that I said that). Third, Kenton bought some items from an auction of a bank going under and has been selling the items on Craigslist. So our garage is full, there is tulle all over my house, we sometimes don't feel like we have time to breathe but know that there will be a prize at the end which is what keeps us going.

As far as a time frame for our adoption, we are expecting 18 months to 2 years. Adoption in Uganda is getting more and more popular and I don't think the government was prepared for such interest which is creating some more expected wait time. However, the judges in Uganda have recieved an invitation by our agency to come to Washington D.C to discuss how to make the process go more efficient, ethical, and smooth. The judges accepted, which is just amazing!

 I also ran a 1/2 marathon in Lincoln, Nebraska. I didn't raise any money but it was an awesome experience that forced me to reflect on where God has taken us from and think about the awesome future that He has in store for us. I even got a little emotional at about mile 5 and mile 13 when I thought about how symbolic this run is to our adoption. I know with each stride there will be progress and there will be an end. So, will I do one again? Probably. I kind of liked it.

Thats it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Found you again. :) I now have you on my new blog reader.

    It was sooo good seeing you and hearing your heart. I love what God is doing in you guys and I'm so encouraged by you and your faith!

    Thanks for being a friend. I can't wait to meet your next cutie! Peace through the wait, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete